7 Simple Self Care Habits for Everyone
Feeling Frazzeld? Need some you time? You are not alone. Despite what many people say, self care isn't easy, taking care of yourself is one of the hardest things you'll ever learn to do. And it's also one of the most important. That’s why I compiled a list of 7 Simple Self Care habits for everyone :)
- Write down one thing you're thankful for when you wake up, it sounds cheesy I know but do it! And it doesn't have to be some monumental thing either, it can be as simple as ‘I’m thankful for the sun shining today.’ or ‘I’m thankful that there’s orange juice in the fridge.’
- Have dedicated time when you’re not on social media. As awesome as our phones and social media are it can be emotionally draining as well, being constantly inundated with news, posts, photos, etc. will wear you out. Give yourself a break :)
- Make a to-do list ( I recommend making a small simple list, nothing too big or it gets overwhelming) Choose one thing off that list and finish it! Following through on plans, goal, to-do lists, etc. is hard to do. Starting small and completing one simple task at a time builds your confidence.
- Be mindful of the media you're consuming. This can be a little tricky, but you want to be careful about what you’re letting your mind focus on. Are you consuming lots of negative, drama filled, depressing media? Even if we don’t realize it playing, interacting with, and consuming lots of heavy media takes a toll on us.
- Compliment yourself whenever you look in the mirror. You may be thinking ‘Izy that sounds absolutely ridiculous, I’m not going to do that.’ And you’d be right, it is totally silly and ridiculous but it works. We have no problem looking at ourselves and saying what we don’t like about our bodies, our teeth, skin, hair, etc. But we very seldom look in the mirror and say what we do like about ourselves.
- Turn your self doubt into motivation. It sounds weird I know but I’ll tell you a secret, I doubt myself alot, I worry about if I’ll ever succeed, or follow through on my dreams, or even if I’m going down the right path. Whenever I have these self defeating thoughts I ask myself:
‘If someone said these things to me would I listen to them? Would I think that they're trying to be helpful or would I prove them wrong?’
And when I ask myself that my answer is always that I’d prove them wrong, so I apply that to my own thoughts and it's done wonders :)
- Last, but definitely not least. Rest. Allow yourself the luxury to rest and relax without guilt, read a book, lay on your couch, sit in complete silence, or just watch the clouds. No matter what it is you do you need to let yourself have some guilt free rest.
These tips are cost free, simple, and don't take a lot of time, start with just one today. Then keep it up. I'd love to hear from you about how they have made a difference in your day.
Back to In the News